It’s pretty early in the semester. Professors aren’t assigning too much homework, and we all probably haven’t had to deal with the cramming nightmare before the first midterm. Soon, the semester will become a little more hectic, but until then, I wanted to give you guys a few snippets of advice for the 2017-2018 school year.
Hopefully you won’t have to learn the following lesson the hard way.
- Plan, plan, plan. You won’t remember everything you thought you would remember, so get a planner. Write down everything you need to do so you can keep track of your goals. This will help you learn how to manage time.
- Stay ready so you don’t have to get ready. Prepare for everything, whether that be tests, quizzes, assignments, or work for on-campus organizations. You’ll thank yourself in the long run.
- Go to class. This should be a given, but attending class is often crucial to understanding class material. Work hard in class so you can play hard later.
- Positivity matters! Surround yourselves with friends and peers that support your dreams and vice versa. Nothing can replace the benefits of having good people in your corner.
- Get involved on campus, but know there is no pressure to do everything. Remember your first priority: this education.
- Do things alone. There some things your friends might not want to do with you – do them anyways. Continue expanding your network beyond those with which you are already familiar.
- A one-hour workout is only 4% of your day. With enough productivity and drive, it can easily be accomplished! Working out and eating right makes you feel better.
- Drink more water! It’s the best thing we can do to keep our bodies regulated. Put some limes and lemons in your water if you don't like the taste.
- Just because there’s a party every weekend, doesn’t mean YOU have to go to that party every weekend.
- Protect your heart. Love and dating can be difficult on campus. Remember that no love interest is worth your respect, dignity, and integrity.
- Mental health is just as important as physical health. Take whatever time you need to get yourself back on track.
- Everyone doesn’t need to know your business and/or goals. Everyone doesn’t have your best interest at heart. Keep negativity far away.
- Before you apply to positions, reach out to those currently serving in that position. Gain their network, mentors, and learn from experience.
- MENTORS. Don’t be afraid to reach out to people with experience in your field. They can teach you so much about how school works and how to accomplish your goals.
- Be yourself - however weird or crazy that person might be! Don’t try to fit into a mold when you were made to stand out.
- NEVER compare yourself to other people: physically or socially. Only compare yourself to the person you were yesterday.
- Call your parents. No matter how annoying they can get, they love you and just want to hear from you. Periodically let them know you’re doing fine.
- Continue embracing the mistakes you make. That’s what college is about. You’re getting closer and closer to your destiny.
- Lastly, come into this year with an open mind. Every year is a fresh start. Make this year all that you want it to be.
That is all :)